Leader of Odukpani Legislative Council, Hon. Godswill Iya has, today January 18th, 2020, been impeached for alleged embezzlement of public funds and undue enrichment.
Consequently, this led to Hon. Effiong Okon being elected as new Odukpani Legislative Leader.
Furthermore, Godswill’s impeachment came on the grounds of a 5-count charge signed by 11 of the 13 councillors of Odukpani Local Government;
1. That the leadership style of Hon.Godwin Iya is fraught with inefficiency and administrative high-handedness without regards to his colleagues in the council.
2. That his leadership is enmeshed in gross embezzlement and misappropriation of funds meant for the legislature and reckless spending of legislative vote without due process.
3. That as a leader whose fundamental duty is to protect the sanctity of the legislature and the interest of his colleagues Hon. Godswill Iya on the contrary used his position as a leader to obtain monies from 4 of his colleagues namely; Hon. Eton Effiong Okon, Hon. Bassey Duke, Hon. Nkoyo Obo, Hon Okokon Effiom, under the false pretense of carrying out an executive order, thereby amounting to gross abuse of office, a height of criminality and fraud.
4. That Hon. Godswill Iya is incompetent in legislative matters and lack the requisite capacity to lead the revered Odukpani Legislative Council.
5. That Hon.Godswil Iya is highly corrupt and used his office as an avenue to amass wealth Gore himself as well as attempting to blackmail the executive arm of the Odukpani Local government council for his own pecuniary interest.
The motion further reads, “In view of the aforementioned, we hereby declare that we have completely lose the confidence we had reposed on Hon. Godswill Etim Iya as our Leader, and in line with the part 4 section 33 sub-section 2c of the Cross River State Local Government Laetitia, hereby declare Hon. Godswill Iya remove and cease to act as the leader of Odukpani legislative council with immediate effect”.
The charge further state; “Hon Godswill Iya by this declaration and order shall handover all official properties of Odukpani Local Government Council including official vehicle to the newly elected legislative leader with immediate effect.”
In a telephone call with MoonRay, the Odukpani Chief Press Secretary, Chief Akiba Ekpenyong confirmed the removal of Hon. Goodwill as well as the election of Hon. Okon as the new legislative leader.